Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dave Herholtz: lasagna making prodigy




Dave Herholtz, member of St. Louis Mennonite Fellowship and MVS Support Committee member, may be the world's greatest lasagna maker. He and his wife Quincy recently invited the MVS'ers over for supper last Saturday.  As we (well the half of our unit who aren't vegetarians) were about to dig in Dave casually mentions that this is the first lasagna he's ever made.  As we ate it became apparent that Dave had natural ability, some latent skill in the art of pasta creation that was just waiting to be tapped.  Friends, I tell you the truth there is no way someone makes a lasagna that tasty on the first try unless they are a prodigy.  I'm still at a loss for how he found the perfect blend of cheeses to accompany the ideally seasoned beef and still managed to have the pasta impeccably cooked.  At a certain point though my head was spinning, I had to stop and accept that, though it defied logic, I was in the presence of a lasagna making legend who had yet to grasp his own genius.  Will he continue to be a dominate creator of lasagna or will he like many other prodigies be unable to live up to the lofty expectations that his early work created?  Only time will tell and we as MVS'ers only hope we will be invited back to their household to find out.

2 comments:

amanda maust said...

Wow, sounds like some serious lasagna. I'm putting that on my list of must eats the next time I'm in St. Louis!

Unknown said...

The secret "cheese blend" is just Ted Drews Frozen Custard. It makes everything taste like manna from heaven.

Amanda, we will definitely serve it up the next time you're in St. Louis, which I hope is soon! But I think it might be just a little over hyped now...